1. Heat your oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3 oven, if using. Sizzle the bacon or pancetta in a little olive oil, along with the onions, bay leaves and pinch of salt and pepper. Cook till the bay is fragrant and the onions tender and golden.
2. Season the diced venison. Add to the pot with the garlic, cinnamon and cloves. Sear till the venison browns.
3. Add enough wine to cover. Bubble it for a few mins so the alcohol evaporates a little. Stir in the tomato paste.
4. Simmer for 2 hrs on the hob or in the oven, till the meat almost falls apart when prodded with a fork. Or, pop the ragu in a slow cooker overnight.
5. Check a few times during cooking. Add a little water if the mix is dry. When cooked, shred the meat with a fork. It should just fall apart. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Get to know us...
Keep up to date with us and get some WILD inspiration!